Thu, 02 May|
Confidence & Craft (Thursdays, Summer)
Suitable for new and emerging writers, as well as more advanced writers and returnees who are looking to complete a longer piece of work.
Time & Location
02 May 2019, 10:10 – 13 Jun 2019, 12:40
Grapevine Dalkey, Castle St Castle St, Dalkey, Co. Dublin, A96 XA89, Ireland
About This Course
7 Week Course (Full Time)
5 Week Course (Part-Time)
This is an informal and unique boutique style of workshop which facilitates many of our more advanced returnees who have progressed so spectacularly, as well as new writers: while continuity is important, fresh energy and new ideas are always welcomed in this creative environment.
The Coming Season
The workshops run on Thursday and Saturday mornings (you choose which suits you best) in 7 week courses. This enables and encourages writers of all disciplines and genres to complete either short-term or longer term goals: a short story or series of poems, or short memoir, or more advanced targets such as the first draft of a novel or long memoir, collection of short stories or poetry or a theatre play.
Class size is limited and the emphasis is on developing a voice as well as completing good creative work in a supportive and encouraging environment. Each workshop will feature creative writing exercises exploring dialogue, POV, setting and atmosphere, description, character creation, structure and plot, amongst other elements.
Participants will be encouraged to read their works in progress (or have someone read for them) in a creative environment where constructive feedback is encouraged. There will be four to five readings per workshop. Between workshops, writers will email work to Ferdia and receive feedback and notes before the next class. Ferdia will also send writers relevant reading materials on a regular basis for discussion in class.
Praise for Ferdia
"Is there a better Tutor in the world of Creative Writing than Ferdia Mac Anna? I very much doubt if there is. He has an outstanding ability and aptitude to assimilate the various writings put before him, and at the same time, the perspicacity to get into the mind of the Author. A boring treatise is given life, a nondescript character a face, the world around us, a smell. Above all there is the Author’s voice. He is the Professional’s Professional. I regard it as a great privilege to write under his caring guidance. He has enriched my life." Brendan Flood
"He creates a safe atmosphere in which to learn, is generous with his time and never hesitates to share his wealth of experience. Ferdia ensures that each writer is given an opportunity to share what they have written and provides on the spot constructive feedback and suggestions for improving or developing our work."
"Ferdia has so much experience in what he does, he expertly guides without being in any way intrusive." Caroline Bale
To paraphrase my hero Ray Bradbury, ‘Writers must jump a cliff and make their own wings on the way down'.
- The courses run for 7 weeks and are ongoing - Anna will inform you of dates
- Group Size: upto 9 writers
- Availability: 7 full-time places, 2 part-time places. One-off places are sometimes available and depend on availability and are at the discretion of the facilitator. If you would like to try out without committing to a full course, please contact Anna to discuss.
- Part-Time defined: writers may opt for any 5 weeks during a course.
- What writers need to bring: pen, paper, a copy of their writing for that particular week.
- Courses must be paid for in advance and online. If you prefer an alternative means of payment, please let Anna know.
- Strictly 3 course options only are available: full-time, part-time or one-off class
- One week’s cancellation notice is required.
- Weeks missed are not transferable to another course.
- The administrator reserves the right to cancel and change dates of courses.